Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 164 of Firsts: Mud Run with Kathe's Krusaders

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels. ~Author Unknown
If you're fantasy is seeing a bunch of women run and crawl through the mud, you've come to the right place. Me? I've always wanted to roll around in the mud.  That made today perfect.

What a grueling, exhilarating experience.  I had no idea what I was in for when I signed up for the 10K adventure MUD RUN for M.S. in Newtown Square.

I was prepared to do it alone until I started talking to a wonderful group of young women from South Jersey.  Jenna Stevens called her team Kathe's Krusaders in honor of  her mother who died from Multiple Sclerosis.

Jenna, Stephanie, Melanie, Rebecca, and Colleen took me in like I was one of their own (even though I was absolutely the slowest runner) and we had the best time going through the crazy, challenging obstacles.

Just watch this video and see how we went from nice and clean to a grimey, dirty, united, awesome team. 

 

(If you didn't figure it out, I'm the one in the baseball cap.)

The run  was tough and as you see I had one awful crawl over the log. I probably won't be able to move tomorrow,  but I would do this again in a heartbeat.

I don't know much about Jenna's mom but I was thinking how proud she would be of her daughter and friends today. What a wonderful spirit they brought to the race and I'm so thankful they shared it with me. I feel somehow it was fate that we met and were united by the experience.

I also wanted to thank my genersous co-workers in the NBC 10 newsroom who helped me raise $100.00 for M.S. one day before the race.

Kathe's Krusaders rock!!! WHOOOOAAA!  A fabulous first!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Lu Ann ~ You totally rocked the MUD RUN today!!! 10K and 26 tough obstacles in the wet mud! Thank you for joining our team and sharing such a memorable experience...it was a first for us today too and it was a blast!:) THANKS AGAIN!! (I'll see you "at 11:00")....
~Colleen Cech Stevens:)

Anonymous said...

Great job today Lu Ann! You truely are such an amazing woman and inspiration to others! You kicked butt today and so glad that you joined our team! WAY TO GO CHICA!! :)
-Melanie MacCoy

P.S. I have been watching and reading your "year of firsts" and I love every minute of it! What an awesome idea!! :)

Lu Ann said...

Had such a great time. I think Kathe's Krusaders may have to strike again for another First. What shall it be??

Allison Coia said...

Great job Lu Ann! I was speaking with you at check in on Friday and asked you if you were doing it with a team. You responded you were doing it alone. I am so happy you found a team to share your experience with!

See you next year!

Allison Coia
Team Captain of Muck-A-Doodle-Doo

Stephanie said...

Lu Anne,

It was so fabulous meeting you yesterday!!! It was a joy to have you with us!!!!! It was a first for us as well!! Can't wait to help you with anything 1st!!!!!!!
-Stephanie Janssen!

Anonymous said...

I am definitely in debt to you and the rest of the Crusaders! I owe all of you a beer and had a great experience watching you huys progress through the race!

-Iron Mike Marshall Mud Run VP of FUN!